Local News Archive
Print Issue: December 4, 1986
Village of St. Joseph Names 25-Member Board Of Advisors
The Village of St. Joseph has inaugurated a 25-member Board of Advisors, in anticipation of the Villages 20th anniversary in 1987. Archbishop Thomas A. Donnellan welcomed the advisors to the Village, asking them to serve as ambassadors to the community.
The Village of St. Joseph has served children since 1867, Rawson Haverty, chairman of the new board, told the group. It was founded to care for orphaned boys and moved to Atlanta in 1967 to serve girls and boys with behavioral and-or learning disorders. Children live on the 45-acre campus and attend school there five days a week, spending weekends and holidays with their families. The goal of the Village is to enable the children to achieve the self-control necessary to attend regular school and live with their families.
The Village depends on donations for much of its daily operating expenses, as few families can afford the entire cost of tuition.
The Village of St. Joseph, owned by the Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta, is staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet and lay professionals. The Village accepts students of all religions, races and nationality. It is located at 2969 Butner Road, S.W.
Members of the advisory board in addition to Chariman Haverty are: James Buckman, Spalding Craft, Bobby Cremins, Gregorio Diego, Michael A. Doyle, R. Lamar Durrett, Robert F. Forrestal, Cono F. Fusco, Martin T. Gatins, Nate R. Goldston, Alex S. Hill, L. Phillip Humann, Jr., William H. Izler, Jr., Sara Kennedy, Mrs. Donald R. Keough, Sanford J. Matthews, M.D., John P. OBrien, Mrs. Solon Patterson, Judge Romae Powell, Mrs. Robert H. Schellman, H. Hamilton Smith, Joseph A. Snitzer, III, M.D., George T. Spelissy and Mrs. Lloyd T. Whitaker.